What is the treatment for anaphylaxis in children?

The treatment of anaphylaxis involves removing the allergen and giving an injection of a medicine called epinephrine into the thigh muscle.

Epinephrine is the gold standard for treatment of anaphylaxis. The medication should be injected in the outer thigh as soon as anaphylactic symptoms are recognized. Epinephrine is given in the emergency room (ER), but it can also be given at home using an epinephrine auto-injection, such as an EpiPen or EpiPen Jr. (The dosing is different for children and adults.) If an EpiPen is used, it is important to seek medical attention immediately after injection.

Sometimes, at the hospital, epinephrine is given through a vein (IV). The patient may also get fluids and antihistamines, but these should not replace epinephrine.

Continue Learning about Allergies

That Labradoodle May Not Be Hypoallergenic After All
The white dog in the picture is a Labradoodle—the offspring of a Labrador Retriever and a Poodle. Like a lot of people, including the Obamas, our inte...
What problems can develop if I don't treat my allergies?
Overland Park Regional Medical CenterOverland Park Regional Medical Center
When allergies are not treated there may be no immediate or long terms effect, but this does occur i...
Are makeup allergies common?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Research suggests that as many as 10 percent of the population will have some sort of reaction to a ...
Should I call 9-1-1 if someone is having an allergic reaction?
There are times when it is important to call 911 when someone is having an allergic reaction. If you...