What are the symptoms of anaphylaxis in children?

Anaphylaxis is a life-threatening condition, which begins rapidly after you come into contact with an allergen. It can be mild or severe and has the potential to lead to death.

Symptoms of anaphylaxis include:
  • hives or skin rash with swelling
  • difficulty breathing
  • drop in blood pressure
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • abdominal cramping
Skin symptoms are seen most of the time. Difficulty breathing occurs in 70% of patients with anaphylaxis. Gastrointestinal and heart symptoms happen in less than half of cases.

Continue Learning about Allergies

Could You Be Allergic to Your Antibiotics?
When baboons make the cover of National Geographic magazine, the centerfold usually has at least one picture of a female baboon’s big red bottom. And ...
What You Need to Know About Deadly Allergic Reactions
Maybe you’ve heard about Hostess recalling some of its products due to a peanut contamination or maybe your kids’ school has gone nut-free. It’s just ...
Know Before You Go: What Is an Allergy Test Like?
If you have allergies, you’re not alone. More than 50 million Americans have allergies, making them the sixth most common cause of chronic illness. Bu...
How Can I Know If I Have a Dairy Allergy?