What causes anaphylaxis?

Anaphylaxis is caused by a severe allergic reaction that occurs after an exposure to a substance that a person's immune system has been sensitized to previously. The allergen causes the sensitized immune system to release histamine and other chemicals from different tissues in the body, which then causes the symptoms that occur. Common allergens include medications such as penicillin, peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, fish, shellfish, milk, eggs, and insect stings from bees, yellow jackets, wasps, hornets, and fire ants. 

Anaphylaxis can be triggered by allergens in insect stings, food, certain medications or other substances.

Continue Learning about Allergies

How to Avoid the Most Common Fall Allergy Triggers
From late August until the first hard frost, 15 to 25 percent of people experience seasonal allergies, and the unrelenting coughing and sneezing that ...
How can I exercise outdoors safely if I have allergies?
Maybe outdoor exercising sounds lovely to you, but you're worried that being in nature will trigger ...
5 Surprising Allergy Triggers
5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers
Watch out for these unexpected causes of allergy flare-ups.
Are Allergies Holding You Back?
Are Allergies Holding You Back?