Advertisement

Is anaphylactic shock dangerous?

Low blood pressure and shock may accompany a severe allergic reaction. Death from anaphylaxis may happen quickly because a person’s breathing has become severely restricted.
Anaphylaxis is defined as a serious allergic reaction that is rapid in onset and may cause death. It must be quickly determined and treated to avoid a life-threatening situation. Death from anaphylaxis usually results from choking due to upper airway swelling or from breathing failure due to lung obstruction and, less commonly, from heart failure. Epinephrine must be administered when signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis appear to be life-threatening.

Continue Learning about Allergies

That Labradoodle May Not be Hypoallergenic After All
That Labradoodle May Not be Hypoallergenic After All
The white dog in the picture is a Labradoodle—the offspring of a Labrador Retriever and a Poodle. Like a lot of people (including the Obamas), our int...
Read More
How can an allergic reaction become life threatening?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Allergic reactions can cause breathing problems. At first the reaction may appear to be just a rash ...
More Answers
5 Surprising Allergy Triggers
5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers
Watch out for these unexpected causes of allergy flare-ups.
Start Slideshow
Smart Gardening Tips for Allergy Sufferers
Smart Gardening Tips for Allergy Sufferers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.