How do skin allergies affect the body?

Skin allergies obviously affect the skin, but they also cause reactions in other parts of the body, especially the blood. When the body is exposed to an allergen either through contact or through ingestion, white blood cells start to produce antibodies. The antibodies work to destroy anything that is dangerous to the body, including allergens. In skin allergies, the antibody produced is called immunoglobulin E, which causes the production of certain chemicals called mediators. Mediators, especially histamine, activate more white blood cells and cause a reaction in the blood vessels of the skin. This leads to the formation of rashes, hives, or other skin irritations.

Continue Learning about Allergies

Know Before You Go: The Allergist
Know Before You Go: The Allergist
You've noticed, lately, every time you go to your uncle's house, you have problems breathing. Your chest becomes tighter, and you begin coughing or wh...
How do doctors treat bacterial throat infections if I have allergies?
Penicillin and amoxicillin are the treatments of choice for bacterial throat infections. However, so...
5 Surprising Allergy Triggers
5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers
Watch out for these unexpected causes of allergy flare-ups.
How Can I Know If I Have a Dairy Allergy?