How do skin allergies affect the body?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Skin allergies obviously affect the skin, but they also cause reactions in other parts of the body, especially the blood. When the body is exposed to an allergen either through contact or through ingestion, white blood cells start to produce antibodies. The antibodies work to destroy anything that is dangerous to the body, including allergens. In skin allergies, the antibody produced is called immunoglobulin E, which causes the production of certain chemicals called mediators. Mediators, especially histamine, activate more white blood cells and cause a reaction in the blood vessels of the skin. This leads to the formation of rashes, hives, or other skin irritations.

Continue Learning about Allergies

How to Use Devices for Asthma and Allergies
How Can I Know If I Have a Dairy Allergy?
What Are Common Foods with Hidden Dairy Products?
What Should I Do If Someone Is Having a Food Allergy Attack?