How can I exercise outdoors safely if I have allergies?

Maybe outdoor exercising sounds lovely to you, but you're worried that being in nature will trigger your allergies, asthma or other breathing problems. Talk with your healthcare provider about coordinating your activity interests with your health condition. Then consider these suggestions to help make exercising outdoors like a breath of fresh air for your body and spirits:
  • If you have asthma, use your medications before exercising, in the manner prescribed by your doctor. Do a five- to 10-minute warm-up. With the right treatment and management plan, people with exercise-induced asthma can participate safely in exercise.
  • Walking is a good exercise choice over activities that cause you to breathe faster, such as running or soccer.
  • Higher ozone and pollutant levels can cause breathing problems, so check levels before exercising outdoors. Many online and print weather forecasts now report air quality levels: 0 to 50 is good; 50 to 100 is not harmful, but could cause breathing problems for some people with asthma; above 100 is unhealthy if you have lung or heart disease and other conditions; above 150 is unhealthy for everyone.
  • Exercise in the early morning or early evening, when pollution levels are lower.
  • If you have breathing problems, avoid exercising outdoors in very cold weather.

Continue Learning about Allergies

Easy Ways to Soothe Your Sinus Symptoms
Easy Ways to Soothe Your Sinus Symptoms
Are you about to come unglued because of sniffles, sneezing, and incessant sinus pressure that's robbed you of sleep and made you miserable? Well, tak...
What is the ideal humidity level in my home to avoid winter allergens?
When the fastidious folks at NASA studied home air quality, they found that it was five times worse ...
5 Surprising Allergy Triggers
5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers
Watch out for these unexpected causes of allergy flare-ups.
How Do You Diagnose an Allergy?
How Do You Diagnose an Allergy?