Can allergies be prevented?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Allergies cannot necessarily be prevented, but future reactions can be avoided, depending on what you're allergic to. Start a journal to determine what causes your allergies, and note everything: symptoms, activities, timing and what helps relieve symptoms. By determining your triggers and best course of treatment, you can avoid what causes your allergies and prevent the symptoms.

It is thought that exclusive breastfeeding for the first 4-6 months of life may prevent or decrease allergies in children. Another possibility being studied is the "hygiene hypothesis" that suggests that exposure to some allergens in the first year of life may prevent acquiring allergies later on.

Continue Learning about Allergies

Test Slideshow
Test Slideshow
This is a test slideshow This is a test slide
How Can I Know If I Have a Dairy Allergy?
Tips to Prevent Asthma
Tips to Prevent Asthma
Why Am I Getting Food Allergies As an Adult?