What does a bug bite or sting do to someone who is allergic?

An insect sting allergy may cause a large area of swelling (edema) at the sting site. It also can cause itching or hives all over your body, cough, chest tightness, wheezing, shortness of breath or anaphylaxis.

If you've ever been the target of a yellow jacket or bee, you'll know there's often more to a sting than the initial pain. Your body responds with swelling, event site pain, and itching. Applying ice and a bit of disinfectant, however, usually helps to ease swelling and suffering.

But for five percent of the population an encounter with a stinger or a bite can be life threatening because they're allergic to the insect's venom. Symptoms of an allergic reaction range from hives, itching, or body swelling to tightness and swelling of the throat, difficulty breathing, a sudden drop in blood pressure, dizziness, unconsciousness, and potentially even cardiac arrest. The reaction generally occurs within minutes of the sting or bite.

If you're allergic to stings or bites, let other people know and be prepared to self-inject epinephrine. Your doctor can issue you an emergency injector to keep with you.

Continue Learning about Allergies

Allergies: Is Cleanliness at the Root of the Problem?
"Don't touch that, it's dirty!" Modern society doesn't like germs. In fact, we've become so obsessed with cleanliness that we go to great lengths to p...
Are makeup allergies common?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Research suggests that as many as 10 percent of the population will have some sort of reaction to a ...
5 Surprising Allergy Triggers
5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers5 Surprising Allergy Triggers
Watch out for these unexpected causes of allergy flare-ups.
How Can I Know If I Have a Dairy Allergy?