What is sublingual immunotherapy (SLIT)?

Paul M. Ehrlich, MD
Allergy & Immunology
The latest wrinkle in treating allergies is called sublingual immunotherapy, which goes by the somewhat creepy acronym SLIT. Sublingual means "under the tongue." SLIT is used more often in Europe than it is in the U.S., which we suspect may be due in part to the fact that the acronym doesn't have the same connotations that it does here. Regardless, we still have a long regulatory road ahead before it gains the same level of use here as across the Atlantic. Efficacy for more than the current limited number of allergens will also have to be proven before we use it more widely.

The idea of sublingual immunotherapy is attractive, especially for pediatric allergists. We would have to give fewer of those painful shots. There's also the fact that it could be taken at home, which would save the health care system money.
Asthma Allergies Children: A Parent's Guide

Asthma and allergies are at epidemic proportions. It doesn't have to be that way. Two experienced pediatric allergists tell everything a conscientious parent needs to know about these conditions,...

Continue Learning about Allergies Treatments

Big News on Pricing for EpiPens and Alternatives
The band Berlin hit the charts in 1986 with Take My Breath Away, a year before the first epinephrine auto-injector was FDA approved. That device was a...
How can I work with my doctor to control my allergies?
The first step to working with your doctor is to be sure he or she has all the information needed to...
What are the disadvantages of immunotherapy?
Paul M. Ehrlich, MDPaul M. Ehrlich, MD
The effectiveness of allergy treatment, like the management of any other chronic disease, rises and ...
Are There Alternative Therapies for Seasonal Allergies?