What are the side effects of allergy tablets?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Side effects may include headache, sneezing, and coughing. It may also include itching of the mouth, lip, tongue, eye, or ear; swelling of the mouth, lip, throat, or tongue; mouth or throat pain; voice problems; skin rash; abdominal pain; and indigestion. Some people may have a severe allergic reaction to the tablets. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Allergies Treatments

Big News on Pricing for EpiPens and Alternatives
The band Berlin hit the charts in 1986 with Take My Breath Away, a year before the first epinephrine auto-injector was FDA approved. That device was a...
What should I know before getting allergy shots?
Allergy shots appear to be effective for children under age 5, and may prevent asthma in this age gr...
Are allergy drops safe?
Dr. Clifford W. Bassett, MDDr. Clifford W. Bassett, MD
Allergy drops, or oral immunotherapy, work similarly to allergy injections in that they build a tole...
What kind of honey is best, if I am trying to fight allergies?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
There are no peer-reviewed scientific studies to prove whether honey reduces allergies, but there is...