What are leukotriene modifiers for the treatment of nasal allergies?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Leukotriene modifiers block chemicals that cause inflammation and constriction of the airways. They can be used alone or in combination with other allergy medications. The leukotriene modifiers available in the US are montelukast (Singulair) and zafirlukast (Accolate). Only montelukast is FDA-approved for treating nasal allergies. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Allergies Treatments

Do's and Don'ts to Calm Watery, Itchy Eyes
Endless sneezing and stuffed-up noses drive most allergy sufferers to see their doctors. But many people put up with itchy, watery eyes and dark under...
When is rapid immunotherapy used?
Paul M. Ehrlich, MDPaul M. Ehrlich, MD
Rapid immunotherapy is not for everyone. There's always a danger of a severe response from the rapid...
What kind of honey is best, if I am trying to fight allergies?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
There are no peer-reviewed scientific studies to prove whether honey reduces allergies, but there is...
How Can I Prevent a Stuffy Nose If I Have Allergies?