What are the benefits of sublingual immunotherapy?

Brian J. Broker, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
Sublingual Immunotherapy, also known as Allergy Drops, are a safe and effective alternative to allergy shots. The major benefit is the convenience. While the need to get shots at a doctors office has been the main barrier for patients to using this treatment, the improved safety of drops allows them to be used at home and thus eliminates the inconvenience. 

Allergy Drops have been proven safe and effective in children as young as 2 years of age. They have also been shown to prevent the progression of asthma in susceptible children and are promoted by the World Health Organization for this purpose.  

Continue Learning about Allergies Treatments

Do's and Don'ts to Calm Watery, Itchy Eyes
Endless sneezing and stuffed-up noses drive most allergy sufferers to see their doctors. But many people put up with itchy, watery eyes and dark under...
What medications interact with allergy shots?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Beta blockers increase your risk for a severe reaction to an allergy shot and may make it more diffi...
What should I know before getting allergy shots?
Allergy shots appear to be effective for children under age 5, and may prevent asthma in this age gr...
Are Allergy Shots a Good Option If I Have Allergies?