What are the benefits of sublingual immunotherapy?

Brian J. Broker, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
Sublingual Immunotherapy, also known as Allergy Drops, are a safe and effective alternative to allergy shots. The major benefit is the convenience. While the need to get shots at a doctors office has been the main barrier for patients to using this treatment, the improved safety of drops allows them to be used at home and thus eliminates the inconvenience. 

Allergy Drops have been proven safe and effective in children as young as 2 years of age. They have also been shown to prevent the progression of asthma in susceptible children and are promoted by the World Health Organization for this purpose.  

Continue Learning about Allergies Treatments

Big News on Pricing for EpiPens and Alternatives
The band Berlin hit the charts in 1986 with Take My Breath Away, a year before the first epinephrine auto-injector was FDA approved. That device was a...
How are severe allergies treated?
Retreat Doctors’ Hospital - HCA VirginiaRetreat Doctors’ Hospital - HCA Virginia
Antihistamines are often needed along with nasal steroids to treat severe allergies. These medicatio...
What should I do if someone is having an allergic reaction?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
If you see someone having an allergic reaction:  Do not pick up animals that can bite or sting. Do...
What Is Skeeter Syndrome?
What Is Skeeter Syndrome?