What are allergy tablets?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Allergy tablets are a form of immunotherapy. Immunotherapy tells your immune system to make you less sensitive to certain allergens, such as pollen. Allergy tablets are placed under your tongue and allowed to dissolve. They are taken daily. They are not meant to relieve your allergy symptoms right away.

The FDA has approved 2 types of allergy tablets for grass pollen called Oralair and Grastek. Oralair contains 5 kinds of northern grass pollen. Grastek contains Timothy grass pollen. The FDA has also approved Ragwitek for short ragweed pollen.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Allergies Treatments

Do's and Don'ts to Calm Itchy, Watery Eyes
Endless sneezing and stuffed-up noses drive most allergy sufferers to see their doctors. But many people put up with itchy, watery eyes and dark under...
Will immunotherapy control my allergy symptoms?
Allergy shots (immunotherapy) are injections that contain small amounts of an antigen (a substance y...
What kind of honey is best, if I am trying to fight allergies?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
There are no peer-reviewed scientific studies to prove whether honey reduces allergies, but there is...
What Is Skeeter Syndrome?
What Is Skeeter Syndrome?