What skin care ingredients can help treat allergic skin?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Treatment options for skin allergies may vary depending on how severe the allergy and its symptoms are. Most importantly, the trigger of the reaction, such as nickel or specific cosmetic products, should be identified so the person can avoid that substance to prevent future allergic reactions. To treat symptoms like rashes or hives, cool cloths or compresses can be applied to the affected area, and for more severe reactions, a lukewarm oatmeal bath might help relieve itchiness. It's best to avoid topical antihistamines, since this can just further irritate the skin. Instead, topical creams that contain corticosteroids should be used. More severe cases might require corticosteroids, antihistamines or other medications to be taken by mouth for a few weeks after the reaction happens.

There are some alternative treatments for skin allergies, although their effectiveness hasn't been confirmed by doctors. Certain herbal supplements may help strengthen the immune system, making a skin allergy reaction less likely. Aromatherapy may help some symptoms, although the essential oils used in aromatherapy may actually be a trigger for some skin allergies. The most common alternative to taking medications is probably "avoidance treatment." Avoiding potential allergens by maintaining low-protein or dairy-free diets, wearing gloves or other protective clothing to work, and using natural or organic cosmetic products may help prevent skin allergy reactions.

Ben Kaminsky
Dermatologist (Skin Specialist)

To treat allergic skin, look for petrolatum, glycerin, sodium PCA, sodium hyaluronate and urea in the skin care products used.

Beyond Botox: 7 Strategies for Sexy, Ageless Skin Without Needles or Surgery

Sexy and ageless skin is possible for a woman at any age--and she doesn't have to resort to invasive treatments like Botox to get it-as long as she cares for her skin properly, says Ben Kaminsky,...

Continue Learning about Allergies Treatments

Big News on Pricing for EpiPens and Alternatives
The band Berlin hit the charts in 1986 with Take My Breath Away, a year before the first epinephrine auto-injector was FDA approved. That device was a...
How can I work with my doctor to control my allergies?
The first step to working with your doctor is to be sure he or she has all the information needed to...
How are allergies treated?
The best treatment for allergies is avoiding the allergen-which helps prevent the allergies as well....
Tame Your Allergies With Yogurt
Tame Your Allergies With Yogurt