Are there alternative treatments for allergies?

One of the best treatments for allergies is to avoid the allergen, if possible. Alternative therapies include acupuncture, hypnosis, and herbal supplements such as butterbur. Keep in mind, however, that there is not much scientific evidence to support these treatments.
Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Geriatric Medicine
I recommend you begin by regulating your sleep and physical activity. Do not drink alcohol, coffee, smoke, or take recreational drugs. Go to sleep early, before 11 p.m., and get at least 8 hours. Eat regularly and only eat healthy foods -- no fast food. Do this for two weeks and witness the changes. Then afterwards, I suggest you begin a journal where you can note any specific activities, foods, locations, or exposure that may be the trigger of your allergies. This will also help a practitioner determine the best course of action. Acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine can help to immediately alleviate your symptoms. Consult a licensed practitioner to determine best treatment course.
Vitamin C, quercetin, bromelain, and stringing nettles are an Integrative Medicine approach to treating seasonal allergies.

Some people find that alternative and natural remedies for allergies, such as herbal medicines or acupuncture, help relieve their allergy symptoms, but the scientific evidence to support alternative treatments is mixed. Limited research suggests that some alternative therapies typically used to treat seasonal allergy symptoms may help alleviate discomfort by reducing inflammation.

The complementary therapies that show the most promise for providing natural allergy relief include:
  • Acupuncture
  • Chinese Herbal Medicine
  • Probiotics
  • Butterbur
  • Quercetin

If you're considering any natural remedies for allergies, be sure to talk to your doctor first; some interactions between traditional and alternative treatments can be dangerous. Also, let your complementary therapist know about any traditional medications you're using to treat your allergy symptoms, as well as your other medical issues.

Continue Learning about Allergies Treatments

Do's and Don'ts to Calm Itchy, Watery Eyes
Endless sneezing and stuffed-up noses drive most allergy sufferers to see their doctors. But many people put up with itchy, watery eyes and dark under...
What can help treat allergies?
The two types of medications used to treat skin allergies—topical or oral medications—work in differ...
What types of medications are used to treat allergies?
Medications used to treat allergies may be used alone or in combination. These include the following...
Are Allergy Shots a Good Option If I Have Allergies?