Are allergy drops safe?

With the right doctor, sublingual immunotherapy (SLIT) allergy drops may be a safe and effective way to control allergies.

According to the World Health Organization, sublingual immunotherapy (SLIT) allergy drops are a viable alternative to immunotherapy injections, and they've been used successfully for years in Europe. The safety record is very good and major studies have demonstrated their effectiveness, but although the drops are Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved in the US (the ingredients are the same as what's in immunotherapy injections), the delivery method is not. It's considered off-label use.

Is it right for you? If you have allergies year round and they interfere with your daily routine, immunotherapy may provide enormous relief. You should explore your options: shots or drops.

Dr. Clifford W. Bassett, MD
Allergist & Immunologist

Allergy drops, or oral immunotherapy, work similarly to allergy injections in that they build a tolerance and symptoms cease over time. Allergy drops, like allergy injections, appear to be very safe and well tolerated, especially when supervised by an allergist. In this video, allergist Clifford Bassett, MD, discusses the safety and convenience of oral immunotherapy.

Continue Learning about Allergies Treatments

Do's and Don'ts to Calm Watery, Itchy Eyes
Endless sneezing and stuffed-up noses drive most allergy sufferers to see their doctors. But many people put up with itchy, watery eyes and dark under...
What are some tips for dealing with allergies?
The best tip for dealing with allergies is to avoid being exposed to whatever triggers the allergic ...
What are side effects of allergy shots?
Side effects may include redness, warmth, or swelling at the injection site. These are common. Less ...
How Can I Alleviate My Allergies?
How Can I Alleviate My Allergies?