Are there alternative treatments for allergy and sinus symptoms?

Dr. Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

I recommend you begin by regulating your sleep and physical activity. Do not drink alcohol, coffee, smoke, or take recreational drugs. Go to sleep early, before 11 p.m., and get at least 8 hours. Eat regularly and only eat healthy foods—no fast foods. Do this for two weeks and witness the changes. Then afterwards, I suggest you begin a journal where you can note any specific activities, foods, locations or exposure that may be the trigger of your allergies. This will also help a practitioner determine the best course of action. Acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine can help to immediately alleviate your symptoms. Consult a licensed practitioner to determine the best treatment course.

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Nettle tea has antihistamine properties and can prevent hay fever or allergy attacks from happening in the first place. It also relieves annoying allergy symptoms like stuffy nose, sneezing and itchy eyes. Typically, allergy medications can cost around $15, but nettle tea is only about $3 for a box of 20 tea bags.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

There are many treatments for allergy symptoms. There are many medications available to take such as antihistamines that stop the allergy reaction or decongestants that help with the stuffy or runny nose. Other treatments include salt water nasal rinses, humidifiers, nasal steroids and nasal sprays. It is also helpful to avoid things that trigger allergies.

Continue Learning about Allergies Treatments