What are some foods that can help reduce allergy symptoms?

A healthy diet won't cure you of your nasal allergy symptoms. But exciting new research suggests that certain foods could have the potential to help minimize them. Some foods have natural inflammation-dulling powers, which could be a boon to people suffering from allergies. Allergy symptoms are very much stoked by inflammatory responses. Check out these five foods that might help you breathe easier by quelling inflammation:
  • Salmon: Fatty coldwater fish like salmon are packed with eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), two super-healthful omega-3 fatty acids that may reduce the risk of allergies. Trout and tuna are good sources, too. If you're not a fan of fish, opt for nuts and seeds instead. They contain alpha-linolenic acid, another type of omega-3 fatty acid.
  • Grape juice: Grape juice is a good source of resveratrol, an antioxidant compound that seemed to reduce asthma inflammation in animal studies. Red wine is an even richer source of resveratrol, but keep in mind that alcohol may make nasal allergy symptoms worse for some people. Snacking on red grapes, blueberries and peanuts is another way to get more resveratrol into your diet.
  • Beans: Legumes are an extra-healthful source of protein. Beans are loaded with folate. In a study, this B vitamin appeared to reduce the intensity of immune system reactions to common allergens. And using beans in place of red meat may do your allergies even more favors. Research shows that red meat may enhance inflammation, so cutting back could be good news for your symptoms.
  • Apples: One a day just might help keep your allergy symptoms away. It's the quercetin in apples that may do the trick. Quercetin is a flavonoid thought to curb the production of histamine and help cool inflammation -- two culprits that play a role in allergic responses.
  • Yogurt: Add the low-fat variety of this creamy dairy food to your antiallergy menu. Because yogurt contains loads of probiotics -- those good-for-your-gut bacteria. In a study, probiotics lowered levels of an immune substance known to fire up allergy symptoms.
  • Carrots: A colorful diet is a healthful diet. Some studies suggest that brightly hued orange, yellow and red produce may help with allergies because they're brimming with cartoneoids -- compounds thought to have an allergy-quelling effect.

Continue Learning about Allergies Symptoms

How can I help prevent allergy symptoms that affect my eyes and eyelids?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
If possible, avoid exposure to whatever is causing your eye allergy. If that's not an option, though...
What are symptoms of seasonal allergies?
Symptoms of seasonal allergies include runny nose, watery eyes, sneezing, and general malaise. I...
How can I tell if I have a cold or seasonal allergies?
To tell if you have a cold or seasonal allergies, consider the following: A seasonal allergy occ...
How Can I Prevent Itchy Eyes If I Have Allergies?