Q

Allergies Symptoms

How do I know if there’s an allergic reaction to an insect bite?

• A Emergency Medicine, answered on behalf of
    How Do I Know If an Insect Bite Gave Me an Allergic Reaction?
    Redness, swelling and hives are just a few indicators of an allergic reaction to an insect bite. In this video, emergency medicine physician, David Feldman, MD, of Good Samaritan Hospital, describes other symptoms to watch for.
  • A Family Medicine, answered on behalf of
    Summer is definitely the season for mosquitoes. You need to know when you have an insect bite, what is a normal bite and what is not. A red dot that stings, itches, and goes away in 24 to 48 hours is a normal and typical reaction. An atypical reaction is when perhaps the bite stays red for longer than normal, emits fluid, or when there’s a rash (urticaria), or when there is swelling, or when there is perhaps a systemic reaction.
    When there is truly an allergic reaction, a patient may have a systemic effect, such as difficulty breathing, or hives outside the area of ​​the bite. Those are signs and symptoms of a reaction that’s out of the ordinary and more aggressive. And it would require emergency treatment.

1 person found this helpful.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
What facial markers can indicate that I have allergies?