How can I control my allergy symptoms?

You can't control your allergies with a single approach. You've got to use every symptom-soothing tool you can. You also need to be consistent in your efforts and willing to explore new treatment options. Most of all, you need to have a step-by-step, strategic plan that keeps you organized and on track, so you can finally take control of your allergy symptoms.

Use the following steps to lay the groundwork for your own, personalized allergy-control plan:
  • Partner with your doctor. Solid allergy relief won't come from a single visit to your doctor. Only a long-term relationship with your doctor will do -- one in which you proactively track and share your symptoms, ask the right questions and follow up if you're not getting the relief you need.
  • Get allergy-tested -- even if you've been tested before. Your allergy triggers can change with time.
  • Avoid your triggers. It's impossible to avoid all your triggers, but you should try. Minimizing exposure is the best way to prevent symptoms from flaring up.
  • Follow your medication plan. That includes sticking with any over-the-counter or prescription medications for as long as your doctor recommends. Combine your allergy medications with other sinus-soothing steps to speed your relief.
  • Live a healthy lifestyle. Kick bad habits, such as smoking, drinking too much alcohol or eating inflammation-inducing junk food.
  • Don't forget the TLC. Saline sprays, neti pots, humidifiers and other self-care remedies provide extra layers of allergy-symptom relief, so don't skip this step.

Continue Learning about Allergies Symptoms

Should I talk to my doctor about my allergy symptoms?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
If you have a diagnosis determining what your allergy is, and you can easily control your symptoms w...
What can cause bumps inside my eyelid?
Pull down your lower eyelid and look in the mirror. If you notice little bumps inside the eyelid t...
What is the difference between allergy symptoms and allergies?
Sky Ridge Medical CenterSky Ridge Medical Center
Allergy symptoms are not the same as allergies. When someone says they have allergies they often mea...
How Can I Prevent Itchy Eyes If I Have Allergies?