How can I control my allergy symptoms?

You can't control your allergies with a single approach. You've got to use every symptom-soothing tool you can. You also need to be consistent in your efforts and willing to explore new treatment options. Most of all, you need to have a step-by-step, strategic plan that keeps you organized and on track, so you can finally take control of your allergy symptoms.

Use the following steps to lay the groundwork for your own, personalized allergy-control plan:
  • Partner with your doctor. Solid allergy relief won't come from a single visit to your doctor. Only a long-term relationship with your doctor will do -- one in which you proactively track and share your symptoms, ask the right questions and follow up if you're not getting the relief you need.
  • Get allergy-tested -- even if you've been tested before. Your allergy triggers can change with time.
  • Avoid your triggers. It's impossible to avoid all your triggers, but you should try. Minimizing exposure is the best way to prevent symptoms from flaring up.
  • Follow your medication plan. That includes sticking with any over-the-counter or prescription medications for as long as your doctor recommends. Combine your allergy medications with other sinus-soothing steps to speed your relief.
  • Live a healthy lifestyle. Kick bad habits, such as smoking, drinking too much alcohol or eating inflammation-inducing junk food.
  • Don't forget the TLC. Saline sprays, neti pots, humidifiers and other self-care remedies provide extra layers of allergy-symptom relief, so don't skip this step.

Continue Learning about Allergies Symptoms

What are some workplace allergy symptoms?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Workplace allergy symptoms will, as you may have guessed, depend on what you have been exposed to, h...
Can allergy symptoms occur only once a month?
Allergy symptoms can occur once a month. Allergies are related to exposure to things that are ir...
What are the symptoms of skin allergies?
Symptoms of skin allergies usually include some kind of visible irritation on the skin, as well as i...
How Can I Prevent Itchy Eyes If I Have Allergies?