What is a delayed hypersensitivity test?

Paul M. Ehrlich, MD
Allergy & Immunology
The delayed hypersensitivity (TB or candida skin tests) test is a descendant of the old tine test, and utilizes either the familiar PPD tuberculin, or candida, mumps, or other substances that most people have been exposed to at one time in their lives. The process involves injecting a few drops under the skin, usually on the forearm. The physician observes the site in 72 hours for a reaction. In a normally functioning immune system, the candida or mumps sites should show a raised, red area. This test is also qualitative as it determines the function of the T cell or cell-mediated system.
Asthma Allergies Children: A Parent's Guide

More About this Book

Asthma Allergies Children: A Parent's Guide

Asthma and allergies are at epidemic proportions. It doesn't have to be that way. Two experienced pediatric allergists tell everything a conscientious parent needs to know about these conditions,...

Continue Learning about Allergies Diagnosis

How are seasonal allergies diagnosed?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
Seasonal allergies are usually diagnosed because kids start showing symptoms every year around the s...
More Answers
What does RAST mean?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
RAST stands for radioallergosorbent test. This is a blood test used to diagnose allergies. Your bloo...
More Answers
What is patch testing for contact allergic reactions?
Dr. Michael Roizen, MDDr. Michael Roizen, MD
If you already know what is causing your rash, say a new soap or the ring you bought on the street t...
More Answers
When are lab tests needed for diagnosing allergies?
It's important to pinpoint exactly what's sparking your allergy symptoms in the first place. Even if...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.