What is a delayed hypersensitivity test?

Paul M. Ehrlich, MD
Allergy & Immunology
The delayed hypersensitivity (TB or candida skin tests) test is a descendant of the old tine test, and utilizes either the familiar PPD tuberculin, or candida, mumps, or other substances that most people have been exposed to at one time in their lives. The process involves injecting a few drops under the skin, usually on the forearm. The physician observes the site in 72 hours for a reaction. In a normally functioning immune system, the candida or mumps sites should show a raised, red area. This test is also qualitative as it determines the function of the T cell or cell-mediated system.
Asthma Allergies Children: A Parent's Guide

Asthma and allergies are at epidemic proportions. It doesn't have to be that way. Two experienced pediatric allergists tell everything a conscientious parent needs to know about these conditions,...

Continue Learning about Allergies Diagnosis

What is patch testing for contact allergic reactions?
If you already know what is causing your rash, say a new soap or the ring you bought on the street t...
What does RAST mean?
RAST stands for radioallergosorbent test. This is a blood test used to diagnose allergies. Your bloo...
How do I know if my allergy symptoms are from allergies?
Sky Ridge Medical CenterSky Ridge Medical Center
The three main causes of allergy symptoms are allergic rhinitis, irritant rhinitis or a combination ...
What kind of doctor should I see if I think I have an allergy?
Tracy KonoskeTracy Konoske
I'd like to expand on what Jim White replied...It's important to determine if you have what is calle...