What kind of doctor should I see if I think I have an allergy?

Jim White
Nutrition & Dietetics
A patient may go see an allergist, a physician specializing in the analysis and treatment of allergies. Several tests may be performed to identify the allergy/allergies. After the allergies are identified, the patient may see a dietician to develop a healthy diet avoiding any of the allergy foods.
Start with your primary care provider. They may refer you to an allergy specialist and/or a registered dietitian to help you navigate the food world and avoid the items to which you are allergic.

Continue Learning about Allergies Diagnosis

how are seasonal allergies diagnosed ?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
Seasonal allergies are usually diagnosed because kids start showing symptoms every year around the s...
More Answers
how are skin allergies diagnosed ?
Diana MeeksDiana Meeks
Skin allergies and their triggers are most commonly diagnosed through skin tests, including scratch ...
More Answers
when are lab tests needed for diagnosing allergies ?
It's important to pinpoint exactly what's sparking your allergy symptoms in the first place. Even if...
More Answers
what is patch testing for contact allergic reactions ?
Dr. Michael Roizen, MDDr. Michael Roizen, MD
If you already know what is causing your rash, say a new soap or the ring you bought on the street t...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.