What kind of doctor should I see if I think I have an allergy?

Tracy Konoske

I'd like to expand on what Jim White replied...It's important to determine if you have what is called "allergy" which is a Type 1 hypersensitivity reaction. It is IgE mediated and is immediate. These are not always life threatening but they could be. Think of things like peanuts, shellfish, etc. 

Then, there are delayed reactions, which are called food sensitivities. They still involve the immune system, but they are not IgE mediated. They are Type 3 and/or Type 4 hypersensitivity reactions. Because they are delayed, dose dependent (not causing a reaction every single time) and person specific, they are hard to isolate. "Allergy" tests will not pick up a type 3 or type 4 reaction. Alcat and LEAP MRT both will - of the two, MRT has better technology at this point since it can quantify reactions. IgG tests cannot identify chemical triggers, and IgG has been shown to be protective as well as pathogenic. 

Working with a dietitian experienced in this area is paramount. Food triggers can be hidden, and it will work best if the patient can avoid any and all reactive foods for 4-5 weeks while the immune system calms down. Education is needed to do meal planning, grocery shopping, label reading, what to do if a reaction occurs, etc. 

There are many MRT therapist available, myself included. A doctor is needed to order the test if you wish to use insurance. For those without insurance or with poor insurance, a cash price is available and no doctor is required. Just a blood draw and a good attitude:)

Jim White
A patient may go see an allergist, a physician specializing in the analysis and treatment of allergies. Several tests may be performed to identify the allergy/allergies. After the allergies are identified, the patient may see a dietician to develop a healthy diet avoiding any of the allergy foods.
Start with your primary care provider. They may refer you to an allergy specialist and/or a registered dietitian to help you navigate the food world and avoid the items to which you are allergic.

Continue Learning about Allergies Diagnosis