How do I know if my allergy symptoms are from allergies?

The three main causes of allergy symptoms are allergic rhinitis, irritant rhinitis or a combination of both (called mixed rhinitis). Allergic rhinitis is caused by a component of your immune system called the immunoglobin E (IgE) antibody. The cause of nonallergic rhinitis or irritant rhinitis s is a direct irritation of your nose. There is no way to tell them apart by just asking questions, not even for an allergist.

Allergy testing (either skin test or blood test) determines which of these is the underlying cause of your allergy symptoms. Allergic rhinitis is an immune system response that has positive allergy tests (either scratch test or blood test). Irritant rhinitis is a nonimmune response that has negative (normal) allergy tests.

It's important to know what causes your symptoms, because the right diagnosis will lead to the right treatment.

Continue Learning about Allergies Diagnosis

When are lab tests needed for diagnosing allergies?
It's important to pinpoint exactly what's sparking your allergy symptoms in the first place. Even if...
What kind of doctor should I see if I think I have an allergy?
Tracy KonoskeTracy Konoske
I'd like to expand on what Jim White replied...It's important to determine if you have what is calle...
What is patch testing for contact allergic reactions?
If you already know what is causing your rash, say a new soap or the ring you bought on the street t...
What does RAST mean?
RAST stands for radioallergosorbent test. This is a blood test used to diagnose allergies. Your bloo...