What is the role of cytokines in allergies?

Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Allergy & Immunology
Cytokines -- small proteins that influence immune response, although their role in allergic inflammation is difficult to pin down -- are made not only in immune system cells called mast cells and basophils but also in practically any cell directly or indirectly involved in the allergic response. To complicate things still further, they can cause inflammation or can be anti-inflammatory.

The development of new medications that interfere with the action of cytokines is the focus of current research.
Asthma Allergies Children: A Parent's Guide

Asthma and allergies are at epidemic proportions. It doesn't have to be that way. Two experienced pediatric allergists tell everything a conscientious parent needs to know about these conditions,...

Continue Learning about Allergies Causes & Risk Factors

What are allergens?
Allergens are substances that cause an allergic response. Examples include pollen, molds, and certai...
Can I be allergic to housework?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
If you declare, "I am allergic to housework," you're most likely just off the definition mark. Rathe...
Kids, Food Allergies and Bullying
Kids, Food Allergies and Bullying
What Are Common Allergy Triggers?
What Are Common Allergy Triggers?