What causes allergies to drugs and food?

Allergies to drugs and foods occur when your body recognizes these as "foreign." When you have an allergic reaction, your immune system is fighting against that drug or food in a way very similar to how it reacts to a bacteria or virus, trying to protect you from this potential hazard. Allergies can be passed down from parents to children, although this is less common than spontaneously developing an allergy. No one really knows why a certain person will develop an allergy to something like peanuts when someone else could eat peanut butter all day.

Continue Learning about Allergies Causes & Risk Factors

What causes skin allergies?
Skin allergies are caused by a chain of immune reactions after the body is exposed to an allergen. W...
Which season of the year is the worst for allergies?
Clifford W. Bassett, MDClifford W. Bassett, MD
Allergies can cause problems year-round, but one season can be especially difficult for allergy suff...
Could my environment make me more likely to develop allergies?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
There's more to developing allergies than just heredity. The things that you become allergic to are ...
What causes allergies to pets?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Contrary to what many people think, it’s not the animal’s fur that people are allergic to. The culpr...