What causes allergies to pets?

Tania Elliott, MD
Pets have proteins in their fur, dander (skin cells), and saliva that cause allergies -- so there is really no such thing as a hypoallergenic pet. In this video, allergy specialist Tania Elliot, MD, shares some tips for avoiding pet allergy symptoms. 
Contrary to what many people think, it’s not the animal’s fur that people are allergic to. The culprit is actually a protein found in pet’s dander (flakes of skin) and saliva. Even if you have a shorthaired animal or an animal that doesn’t shed -- and even when you keep animal hair cleaned up -- a lot of the dander will remain behind.

Continue Learning about Allergies Causes & Risk Factors

Are allergies inherited?
Margaret L. McKenzie, MDMargaret L. McKenzie, MD
Allergies often run in families.Watch this video to learn what you can do to minimize allergies in y...
Does my age affect my likelihood to develop allergies?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
How old you are when you're exposed is critical, and viruses may also play a role. Recent studies sh...
What Are Common Allergy Triggers?
What Are Common Allergy Triggers?
Are Allergies Inherited?
Are Allergies Inherited?