What causes allergies to pets?

Tania Elliott, MD
Pets have proteins in their fur, dander (skin cells), and saliva that cause allergies -- so there is really no such thing as a hypoallergenic pet. In this video, allergy specialist Tania Elliot, MD, shares some tips for avoiding pet allergy symptoms. 
Contrary to what many people think, it’s not the animal’s fur that people are allergic to. The culprit is actually a protein found in pet’s dander (flakes of skin) and saliva. Even if you have a shorthaired animal or an animal that doesn’t shed -- and even when you keep animal hair cleaned up -- a lot of the dander will remain behind.

Continue Learning about Allergies Causes & Risk Factors

Why are allergies becoming more common?
One prevailing theory about allergy development stems from a biochemical reaction that occurs when o...
Does my age affect my likelihood to develop allergies?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
How old you are when you're exposed is critical, and viruses may also play a role. Recent studies sh...
What Are Common Allergy Triggers?
What Are Common Allergy Triggers?
Kids, Food Allergies and Bullying
Kids, Food Allergies and Bullying