What causes allergic reactions?

Allergic reactions are caused by overactivity of the immune system against specific foreign substances called antigens. Reactions can be mild, such as rashes, to a severe, life-threatening condition called anaphylaxis (anaphylactic shock).

Common antigens that often cause allergic reactions in at-risk people include:
  • Bee or insect venom
  • Antibiotics
  • Pollen
  • Animal dander
  • Latex
  • Sulfa drugs
  • Certain foods, such as tree nuts, peanuts, shellfish, strawberries, and coconut oil
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
Many agents - including foods, venom, drugs, chemicals, and other substances - can cause allergic reactions that range from mild to severe and life-threatening. The progressive reaction can appear within minutes of exposure or may show up hours later. The more serious reactions usually develop within minutes of the victim's exposure to the allergen. Many who know they have severe allergies carry a prescribed epinephrine autoinjector to counter the reaction.
Doc's First Aid Guide: Read It Before You Need It

In a medical emergency, time is of the essence. "Doc's First Aid Guide" is an illustrated, first-aid pocket handbook designed to be used as a quick reference and includes the latest CPR guidelines....

Continue Learning about Allergies Causes & Risk Factors

Could my environment make me more likely to develop allergies?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
There's more to developing allergies than just heredity. The things that you become allergic to are ...
How can my job trigger allergy symptoms?
Brett SnodgrassBrett Snodgrass
This depends on the type of job you do. If you are employed in area around chemicals or outside, you...
Are Allergies Inherited?
Are Allergies Inherited?
Tips to Prevent Asthma
Tips to Prevent Asthma