Can foods trigger seasonal allergies?

Clifford W. Bassett, MD
Allergy & Immunology
It is estimated that up to one half of those who suffer with seasonal allergies to pesky tree, grass and weed pollens each year may succumb to "oral allergy syndrome". That's right! Due to a "cross-reaction" between proteins in fresh fruit, some vegetables, nuts (including hazelnut and almond which may be found in coffee beverages) and even spices, the immune system believes it may be under attack.

The verdict may be "oral allergy symptoms" such as tingling, itchiness of the lips, tongue, mouth and even throat after the ingestion of a various foods that trigger localized, largely mild, oral symptoms.

The good news is that in many cases, when possible, simply peeling or cooking the fresh fruits can "knock out" the proteins responsible for these common and annoying symptoms that may also aggravate seasonal allergy symptoms. In many allergy sufferers this condition is chiefly manifested during the pollen season.

Continue Learning about Allergies Causes & Risk Factors

What could cause me to be allergic to only certain wines?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The issue of "allergy" to wine is a common one. There is generally no simple answer. A commonly held...
How can my job trigger allergy symptoms?
Brett SnodgrassBrett Snodgrass
This depends on the type of job you do. If you are employed in area around chemicals or outside, you...
Tips to Prevent Asthma
Tips to Prevent Asthma
Are Allergies Inherited?
Are Allergies Inherited?