Are allergies inherited?

Allergies can often be blamed on dad and mom. The tendency to become allergic is an inherited one. The chances that you'll be allergic go up from about 50 percent when one parent is allergic to about 75 percent to 80 percent when both of your parents have allergies.

The American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology has issued estimates that as many as 50 million Americans suffer with hay fever, asthma, or other allergy-related conditions.

In short, your family genes are stacked against you. Now, does this mean instant sniffles and sinus pain? Not always. Don't forget, even if you do have a 60 percent chance to develop allergies, that means you also have a 40 percent chance of not developing them. That's why Spike turns your eyes and nose into streams while your sister is pretty much dry. In the roll of genetic dice, she came out the winner.

Continue Learning about Allergies Causes & Risk Factors

are my allergies work-related ?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
With a little bit of detective work, you might be able to dig up some clues as to whether or not you...
what are allergens ?
Allergens are substances that cause an allergic response. Examples include pollen, molds, and certai...
does my age affect my likelihood to develop allergies ?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
How old you are when you're exposed is critical, and viruses may also play a role. Recent studies sh...
are allergies inherited ?
are allergies inherited ?