Who should I contact if I want help with my alcohol problem?

Ending alcohol abuse can be very difficult, but it is crucial for many reasons, including your diabetes care. If you have a problem with alcohol, or think you might have a problem, there is help available to you. Talk to your pro­vider, or call your local chapter of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA). Your health care team can help you find the treatment you need to begin the path to recovery.

Alcohol abuse is even more dangerous for people with diabetes. Many diabetes complications—including nerve damage, eye problems, high blood pressure, kidney disease, and heart disease—can worsen with excessive alcohol use. Long-term alcohol abuse can interfere with how you take care of your diabetes.

Continue Learning about Alcoholism

Helping a Friend Who’s Had Too Much
Helping a Friend Who’s Had Too Much
The Hangover series took in over $1.4 BILLION worldwide -- ‘cause apparently people love to view guys who drink too much...
For women, what factors contribute to alcoholism or other substance abuse?
For women, there are a number of factors that contribute to alcoholism or other substance abuse. Sin...
Alcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital Facts
Alcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital FactsAlcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital FactsAlcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital FactsAlcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital Facts
Harmful alcohol use is responsible for more than 3 million global deaths a year, according to a new World Health Organization report.
Inside the Day of a Highly Functioning Alcoholic