What medication can I take for alcohol dependency if I have liver disease?

Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
Baclofen (Lioresal) is a muscle relaxant, which might be a choice for treating alcohol dependence in some people. Heavy alcohol intake is a leading cause of liver disease; however, many of the currently available anti-craving medications cannot be used in people with liver disease for fear of further damage. A small study published in The Lancet indicated that baclofen reduced alcohol cravings in people with cirrhosis of the liver without harming the liver.

Continue Learning about Alcoholism

Helping a Friend Who’s Had Too Much
Helping a Friend Who’s Had Too Much
The Hangover series took in over $1.4 BILLION worldwide -- ‘cause apparently people love to view guys who drink too much too quickly and make horrible...
Whom can I contact to help me quit drinking?
If you are ready to quit drinking, contacting your primary care doctor is a great place to start to ...
10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse
10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse
Drinking too much alcohol can make your RealAge significantly older.
Danny Bonaduce on His 25-Year Battle With Alcohol