What medication can I take for alcohol dependency if I have liver disease?

Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
Baclofen (Lioresal) is a muscle relaxant, which might be a choice for treating alcohol dependence in some people. Heavy alcohol intake is a leading cause of liver disease; however, many of the currently available anti-craving medications cannot be used in people with liver disease for fear of further damage. A small study published in The Lancet indicated that baclofen reduced alcohol cravings in people with cirrhosis of the liver without harming the liver.

Continue Learning about Alcoholism

5 Ways to Prevent a New Year’s Hangover
5 Ways to Prevent a New Year’s Hangover
Bring out the sparkly dress, put on your dancing shoes and get ready to celebrate New Year’s! Just remember that no celebration is worth a bad hangove...
Does alcohol substance abuse affect men and women differently?
Joel A. Holiner, MDJoel A. Holiner, MD
Addiction basically affects men and women the same way; however, women are more sensitive to alcohol...
10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse
10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse
Drinking too much alcohol can make your RealAge significantly older.
How the Naltrexone Implant Treatment Works