What is alcohol dependence?

William D. Knopf, MD
Alcohol dependence is a disease in which a person craves alcohol, is unable to limit his or her drinking, needs to drink greater amounts to get the same effect, and has withdrawal symptoms after stopping alcohol use. Alcohol dependence affects physical and mental health, and causes problems with family, friends, and work. Also called alcoholism.

Continue Learning about Alcoholism

Top 10 Drunkest Cities in 2017
Top 10 Drunkest Cities in 2017
You might be living a city full of heavy drinkers—and not even know it. And considering how alcohol can harmfully impact your health, it’s important t...
Do I have a drinking problem?
Robert RozsayRobert Rozsay
The best answer I can give is, if you are at a point where you are asking whether you do or do not y...
Alcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital Facts
Alcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital FactsAlcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital FactsAlcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital FactsAlcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital Facts
Harmful alcohol use is responsible for more than 3 million global deaths a year, according to a new World Health Organization report.
How Tara Overcame Her Alcohol Addiction
How Tara Overcame Her Alcohol Addiction