How is alcoholism treated?

There is no cure for alcoholism; the goal of treatment is total abstinence. Treatment may include time in a detoxification center or hospital, therapy sessions, and support groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous. In some cases, an alcoholic may benefit from Antabuse, a drug that causes the person to become violently ill after taking even a small sip of alcohol.

Continue Learning about Alcoholism

5 Ways to Prevent a New Year’s Hangover
5 Ways to Prevent a New Year’s Hangover
Bring out the sparkly dress, put on your dancing shoes and get ready to celebrate New Year’s! Just remember that no celebration is worth a bad hangove...
How can I tell if I have a drinking problem?
If you suspect that you or someone you know has a drinking problem, answer the questions below t...
Which women and girls are most likely to binge drink?
Binge drinking is defined for women as consuming four or more alcohol drinks (beer, wine or liquor) ...
10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse
10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse
Drinking too much alcohol can make your RealAge significantly older. Overdoing it on the alcohol (guzzling more than two to four drinks daily) can mak...