How is alcoholism treated?

There is no cure for alcoholism; the goal of treatment is total abstinence. Treatment may include time in a detoxification center or hospital, therapy sessions, and support groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous. In some cases, an alcoholic may benefit from Antabuse, a drug that causes the person to become violently ill after taking even a small sip of alcohol.

Continue Learning about Alcoholism

Beware of Alcohol Excess
Beware of Alcohol Excess
There was a time when being plotzed was considered funny. Do you remember the comedian Foster Brooks and Dean Martin? Foster, slurring every word: “Ha...
How can I know if I am an alcoholic?
Dr. Timothy W. Fong, MDDr. Timothy W. Fong, MD
If a male drinks more than five drinks in a single occasion, that's an episode of heavy drinking. It...
Alcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital Facts
Alcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital FactsAlcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital FactsAlcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital FactsAlcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital Facts
Harmful alcohol use is responsible for more than 3 million global deaths a year, according to a new World Health Organization report.
How the Naltrexone Implant Treatment Works