Should I talk to my doctor about my binge drinking?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
You should talk with your doctor about your alcohol consumption if it fits in the category of binge drinking. Consuming five or more drinks in a two-hour period (men) or four or more in the same time period (women) is considered binge drinking. If you have experienced symptoms of excessive alcohol consumption such as blackouts or loss of consciousness, you should consult your doctor. Binge drinking is the leading cause of alcohol poisoning, a serious and potentially life-threatening condition.
Fredrick Wade
Addiction Medicine

Yes. Binge drinking is probably best described as drinking excessive amounts of alcohol in a short period of time. The dangers associated with this behavior are severe intoxication, respiratory or circulatory failure, low blood sugar, falls, scrapes and bruises due to blood alcohol content, and even cardiac arrest and/or death. So you see this is a very serious problem with deadly and immediate consequences.  Thus, talking with anyone about the fact that you are binge drinking is, frankly, a good start. Yet, talking with your doctor will also get you some ideas regarding what steps you might take to address the problem. Being open and transparent with your doctor assures that you will get some help and start the process of addressing what can become a very serious problem with dire emotional and physical secondary complications. Binge drinking has both, cardiovascular, and severe lifestyle problems, which will continue to grow if, left unchecked.

Continue Learning about Alcoholism

Helping a Friend Who’s Had Too Much
Helping a Friend Who’s Had Too Much
The Hangover series took in over $1.4 BILLION worldwide -- ‘cause apparently people love to view guys who drink too much too quickly and make horrible...
What is alcoholism?
Fredrick WadeFredrick Wade
Alcoholism is best described as an illness that causes psychological and physical dependence on alco...
Where can I find help to stop drinking alcohol if I am pregnant?
If you are pregnant or trying to get pregnant and cannot stop drinking, get help! Contact your docto...
10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse
10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse
Drinking too much alcohol can make your RealAge significantly older. Overdoing it on the alcohol (guzzling more than two to four drinks daily) can mak...