Should I talk to my doctor about my binge drinking?

Fredrick Wade
Addiction Medicine

Yes. Binge drinking is probably best described as drinking excessive amounts of alcohol in a short period of time. The dangers associated with this behavior are severe intoxication, respiratory or circulatory failure, low blood sugar, falls, scrapes and bruises due to blood alcohol content, and even cardiac arrest and/or death. So you see this is a very serious problem with deadly and immediate consequences.  Thus, talking with anyone about the fact that you are binge drinking is, frankly, a good start. Yet, talking with your doctor will also get you some ideas regarding what steps you might take to address the problem. Being open and transparent with your doctor assures that you will get some help and start the process of addressing what can become a very serious problem with dire emotional and physical secondary complications. Binge drinking has both, cardiovascular, and severe lifestyle problems, which will continue to grow if, left unchecked.

You should talk with your doctor about your alcohol consumption if it fits in the category of binge drinking. Consuming five or more drinks in a two-hour period (men) or four or more in the same time period (women) is considered binge drinking. If you have experienced symptoms of excessive alcohol consumption such as blackouts or loss of consciousness, you should consult your doctor. Binge drinking is the leading cause of alcohol poisoning, a serious and potentially life-threatening condition.

Continue Learning about Alcoholism

Stepping Away from Alcohol Use Problems
Stepping Away from Alcohol Use Problems
Running back Ricky Williams gave up his 11-year NFL career, saying “Playing in the National F...
How can I know if I am an alcoholic?
Dr. Timothy W. Fong, MDDr. Timothy W. Fong, MD
If a male drinks more than five drinks in a single occasion, that's an episode of heavy drinking. It...
Alcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital Facts
Alcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital FactsAlcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital FactsAlcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital FactsAlcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital Facts
Harmful alcohol use is responsible for more than 3 million global deaths a year, according to a new World Health Organization report.
How the Naltrexone Implant Treatment Works