Is alcoholism an allergy?

Brad Lamm
Addiction Medicine
The short answer is: no. However, some doctors think of alcoholism metaphorically as an allergy. This helps people think of alcoholism as something like those with a severe peanut allergy. Put peanuts (or alcohol for the alcohol-troubled) in the person with the allergy and something bad is likely to occur.

Continue Learning about Alcoholism

Excess Alcohol Harms Your Breathing
Excess Alcohol Harms Your Breathing
How long can you hold your breath? One minute? Two maybe? How about 24 minutes and 3 seconds? That’s the world record, set by Spanish free diver Aleix...
Do I have a drinking problem?
Renee RossRenee Ross
Do I drink every day? Have I increased my drinking and or the amounts of my intake? Do I have freque...
Alcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital Facts
Alcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital FactsAlcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital FactsAlcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital FactsAlcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital Facts
Harmful alcohol use is responsible for more than 3 million global deaths a year, according to a new World Health Organization report.
The Alcoholism Treatment That Helped Danny Bonaduce and Jeremy Miller