How do I know if I'm at risk of alcohol abuse?

John Preston, PsyD
Answering the following questions helps you assess your risk of alcohol abuse. The CAGE questionnaire has been widely used and validated for assessing alcohol abuse. The questionnaire is named after the four questions it asks. If you answer yes to any two questions, seek further help in getting control of your alcohol abuse from your healthcare provider, or an alcohol or substance abuse counselor or program.

CAGE Questionnaire:

C: Have you ever felt you needed to cut down on your drinking?
A: Have people annoyed you by criticizing you about your drinking?
G: Have you ever felt guilty about your drinking?
E: Have you ever felt you needed a drink first thing in the morning (an eye-opener) to steady your nerves or get rid of a hangover?
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Alcoholism

Stepping Away from Alcohol Use Problems
Stepping Away from Alcohol Use Problems
Running back Ricky Williams gave up his 11-year NFL career, saying “Playing in the National F...
Whom can I contact to help me quit drinking?
If you are ready to quit drinking, contacting your primary care doctor is a great place to start to ...
Alcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital Facts
Alcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital FactsAlcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital FactsAlcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital FactsAlcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital Facts
Harmful alcohol use is responsible for more than 3 million global deaths a year, according to a new World Health Organization report.
The Alcoholism Treatment That Helped Danny Bonaduce and Jeremy Miller