How can I get rid of alcoholism?

Kathy Sowder
Once you have alcoholism, you cannot get rid of it; however, you can arrest it by not drinking. If you are alcoholic, that may not be easy to do, especially if you are past the early stages of alcoholism. AA meetings are free and provide support from other recovering alcoholics to help you take a look at your drinking. Many people resist quitting alcohol, believing they can quit on their own, or cut down, but if these methods have not worked for you, it is recommended that you go to AA and/or be assessed by an alcohol treatment professional. Putting it off or making excuses not to get help only increase the risk of further harmful consequences in your life. 

Continue Learning about Alcoholism

Helping a Friend Who’s Had Too Much
Helping a Friend Who’s Had Too Much
The Hangover series took in over $1.4 BILLION worldwide -- ‘cause apparently people love to view guys who drink too much...
Why do I keep drinking more when I want to stop?
James R. Healy, PhDJames R. Healy, PhD
There are many reasons why people may drink more than they think is good for them. Sometimes once a ...
10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse
10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse
Drinking too much alcohol can make your RealAge significantly older.
Danny Bonaduce on His 25-Year Battle With Alcohol