How can healthcare providers help me quit alcohol addiction?

For those who have been using alcohol or a combination of alcohol and other drugs heavily or for a long time, it is best to have supervision and support from health care providers when withdrawing. You need help to relieve withdrawal symptoms and to reestablish sleep patterns, as well as to get treatment for a range of medical problems. A hospital or recovery center is the best place to get this help. Women with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) or those who are going through withdrawal from specific drugs, such as opiates and tranquilizers, may need further specialized care. Withdrawal symptoms are temporary; they subside once the body gets used to the absence of the substance, though the desire for the substance may last a long time.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH," A TRUSTWORTHY, UP-TO-DATE GUIDE TO HELP EVERY WOMAN NAVIGATE THE MENOPAUSE TRANSITION For decades, millions of women have relied on Our...

Continue Learning about Alcoholism

Why do I keep drinking more when I want to stop?
Ken BachrachKen Bachrach
One of the diagnostic criteria for substance dependence or addiction is that a person has “a persist...
How common is binge drinking in women and girls?
Binge drinking for women is defined as consuming four or more alcohol drinks (beer, wine or liquor) ...
How can I tell if I have a drinking problem?
If you suspect that you or someone you know has a drinking problem, answer the questions below t...
For women, what factors contribute to alcoholism or other substance abuse?
For women, there are a number of factors that contribute to alcoholism or other substance abuse. Sin...