Can alcoholism be treated?

You can overcome alcohol addiction -- if you're ready to stop drinking and willing to reach out for help from close friends and family, support groups and professional organizations such as Alcoholic Anonymous.

For those who are heavily addicted or have been drinking for a long time, a medically supervised detoxification program may be necessary. Everyone's needs are different, and there's no one cure that works for everyone.

The important thing is to admit you have a problem, then promptly reach out for help. Know that if you do slip, it doesn't mean you are doomed for a major relapse or that you won't be able to get back on track.

Commitment and follow-through are skills every person with an alcohol addiction needs to get -- and stay -- well.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Alcoholism

5 Ways to Prevent a New Year’s Hangover
5 Ways to Prevent a New Year’s Hangover
Bring out the sparkly dress, put on your dancing shoes and get ready to celebrate New Year’s! Just remember that no celebration is worth a bad hangove...
Do I have a drinking problem?
Renee RossRenee Ross
Do I drink every day? Have I increased my drinking and or the amounts of my intake? Do I have freque...
What is alcohol dependence?
William D. Knopf, MDWilliam D. Knopf, MD
Alcohol dependence is a disease in which a person craves alcohol, is unable to limit his or her drin...
If I drink excessively, should I give up alcohol on my own?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
For people who drink excessively on a regular basis, quitting without medical supervision can be...