Do I have to be an alcoholic to experience alcohol problems?

Fredrick Wade
Addiction Medicine

No.  Many people who drink find that they undergo radical changes emotionally after just two or three drinks.  Such changes can affect marital relations as well as relations with ones children and peers.  It is not so much the amount but rather how it affects you and how that impacts those with whom you interact in every day life.  This is why you will often hear the phrase "problem drinker" which typically refers to he or she who undergoes emotional shifts after ingesting small amounts of alcohol.  If this in anyway defines you, it may be useful to take a closer look at your mental and emotional responses to alcohol so as to make right sized decisions about drinking or not drinking in the future.  The impact of ones use, not the amount, is the means to making healthy decisions regarding alcohol use on all levels,   

Continue Learning about Alcoholism

Helping a Friend Who’s Had Too Much
Helping a Friend Who’s Had Too Much
The Hangover series took in over $1.4 BILLION worldwide -- ‘cause apparently people love to view guys who drink too much too quickly and make horrible...
Where can I find help to stop drinking alcohol if I am pregnant?
If you are pregnant or trying to get pregnant and cannot stop drinking, get help! Contact your docto...
Alcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital Facts
Alcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital FactsAlcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital FactsAlcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital FactsAlcohol Causes 1 in 20 Deaths Worldwide—Plus 5 Other Vital Facts
Harmful alcohol use is responsible for more than 3 million global deaths a year, according to a new World Health Organization report.
How Tara Overcame Her Alcohol Addiction
How Tara Overcame Her Alcohol Addiction