Do I have to be an alcoholic to experience alcohol problems?

Fredrick Wade
Addiction Medicine

No.  Many people who drink find that they undergo radical changes emotionally after just two or three drinks.  Such changes can affect marital relations as well as relations with ones children and peers.  It is not so much the amount but rather how it affects you and how that impacts those with whom you interact in every day life.  This is why you will often hear the phrase "problem drinker" which typically refers to he or she who undergoes emotional shifts after ingesting small amounts of alcohol.  If this in anyway defines you, it may be useful to take a closer look at your mental and emotional responses to alcohol so as to make right sized decisions about drinking or not drinking in the future.  The impact of ones use, not the amount, is the means to making healthy decisions regarding alcohol use on all levels,   

Continue Learning about Alcoholism

5 Ways to Prevent a New Year’s Hangover
5 Ways to Prevent a New Year’s Hangover
Bring out the sparkly dress, put on your dancing shoes and get ready to celebrate New Year’s! Just remember that no celebration is worth a bad hangove...
Where can I find help to stop drinking alcohol if I am pregnant?
If you are pregnant or trying to get pregnant and cannot stop drinking, get help! Contact your docto...
10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse
10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse10 Worst Cities for Alcohol Abuse
Drinking too much alcohol can make your RealAge significantly older.
Why Charlie Sheen Supported Johnny Manziel