How true is it that drinking beer after liquor will not give me a hangover?

Neal Spruce
Neal Spruce on behalf of dotFIT
Fitness
Not true. If you drink enough alcohol from any source (wine, beer, whiskey, etc.) you will get a hangover. So other than not drinking at all, drinking slightly less alcohol and/or spacing (at least an hour between drinks) your total consumption evenly throughout the event so your body has time to metabolize it before it gets you inebriated, there is no sure way to prevent that tired, sore and often fuzzy feeling, which can also include an acute bout of depression. Again, if you drink enough in a day, you will get some degree of a "hangover". Below is your best bet in lessening the "hangover":
  • First, if possible, eat a meal before bed and take a multivitamin & mineral formula (MVM)* followed by 2-3 aspirin
  • Second, after rising and again taking 2-3 aspirin, eat something that appeals to you, take another MVM, have 1-3 cups of strong coffee (caffeine can increase the effects of aspirin and vice-versa)
If you want to go further to end/relieve the hangover, follow 3 & 4 immediately after step 2:
  • Third, rest 2 hours (unless your job interferes -- but you could nap at your desk :) ) then consume a pre-workout shake
  • Lastly, 20-30mins after your shake, go exercise. I know it sounds tough, but do it. After exercise you will be amazed how good you feel thanks to endorphins and adrenalin.
There you have it -- the best solution to avoid the negative side effects of drinking too much.

* Alcohol robs your body and brain of vitamins and minerals because they are needed to metabolize the alcohol and this significantly contributes to the hangover
If you are looking for a way to hedge a hangover, this sequence of imbibing is not going to do a thing. Alcohol is alcohol and it all gets metabolized and absorbed in the same way. If you have a hankering for hard liquor, pick the clear ones. Darker liquors contain congeners, the impurities produced during the fermentation process that contribute to hangovers. Still, there are no known cures for a hangover so it's best to consume less or not at all.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

Hawaii Health Alert: Is There a Safe Amount of Alcohol?
If you relax or unwind with an occasional beer or Mai Tai, you may be wondering if this habit is good for you, bad for you—or maybe somewhere in betwe...
If I drink beer, how much should I drink?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
To get the health benefits of beer without the negative side effects, men should limit their consump...
What is powdered alcohol?
Powdered alcohol, or alcohol powder, is a product turns into liquid alcohol when mixed with water. I...
How to Pick a Healthy Beer
How to Pick a Healthy Beer