Why should I avoid water sports after drinking alcohol?

Avoid water sports after drinking alcohol, because alcohol consumption impairs judgment and increases risk-taking activity. According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, half of all water recreation deaths involve the use of alcohol. Swim only in designated areas and always wear a life preserver when in a boat. You may feel fine, but in cold water it doesn’t take long for hypothermia to set in and zap your strength. Never operate a boat or vehicle under the influence of alcohol.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

Hawaii Health Alert: Is There a Safe Amount of Alcohol?
If you relax or unwind with an occasional beer or Mai Tai, you may be wondering if this habit is good for you, bad for you—or maybe somewhere in betwe...
How does alcohol affect my heart?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Excessive alcohol use can raise blood pressure and cause heart failure. It can also contribute to ob...
Why does alcohol cause dehydration?
Alcohol gets broken down by your body into different compounds. The alcohol chemical itself tells yo...
Why Craft Beer Is Better
Why Craft Beer Is Better