Why does alcohol cause dehydration?

Alcohol gets broken down by your body into different compounds. The alcohol chemical itself tells your kidneys to make more urine than normal. So, you urinate more. The more you urinate, the more dehydrated you become. This is how alcohol can cause dehydration.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

Should I drink in moderation to protect my heart?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Despite some studies that have shown that alcohol can be beneficial in reducing the risks of heart d...
Which foods have similar health benefits to wine?
If you cannot consume wine, you can get these same benefits from a grapeseed oil scrub made from the...
How can I protect myself against drunk drivers?
Your best defense against a drunk driver is to buckle up every time. Every person in every seat shou...
Why are women more sensitive to the effects of alcohol than men?
Dr. Paul  Hokemeyer, PhDDr. Paul Hokemeyer, PhD
There are three key physical factors that make women more susceptible to alcohol related problems th...