When do the anti-aging effects of alcohol start?

First of all, the RealAge (physiologic age) age-reducing effect of alcohol consumption begins only when a person reaches the age at which the risk of cardiovascular disease increases: after menopause for women, and forty to fifty for men.

Second, the antiaging benefits of alcohol apply only to some people. Therefore, you would need to weigh your risks and decide whether or not alcohol consumption should be part of your diet. You would also need to determine if you could consume alcohol in moderate amounts, considering your own genetic and social risks of developing alcoholism, liver disease, or cancers.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

How Alcohol Affects Women
How Alcohol Affects Women
Men are drinking less and women are drinking more—closing up the gender-drinking gap, says the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIA...
What should I know about drinking champagne?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
The effects of champagne can sneak up on you. In this video, I will reveal how the bubbles in champa...
How can law enforcement help prevent drunk driving?
At sobriety checkpoints, police stop drivers to judge if they are driving under the influence of alc...
Does Alcohol at Bedtime Affect Men and Women in the Same Way?