What can states do to help prevent drinking and driving?

To help prevent drunk driving, states can enforce 0.08% blood alcohol concentration and minimum legal drinking age laws and expand the use of sobriety checkpoints. Also, they can require ignition interlocks for everyone convicted of drinking and driving, starting with their first offense.

States could also consider including strategies to reduce binge drinking—such as increasing alcohol taxes—to reduce drinking and driving, since the two behaviors are linked. They could also pass primary enforcement seat belt laws that cover everyone in the car.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

The Alcohol-Cigarette Equivalency
The Alcohol-Cigarette Equivalency
In Paul Newman’s booze- and cigarette-laced performance in the 1982 film The Verdict, a man struggles to find a way out of his smoky, alcoholic haze. ...
What Should I Know About Drinking Champagne?
Does Your Face Flush After Drinking Alcohol?
Are You a Binge Drinker and Don't Know It?