What are the drinking guidelines for women?

For most women, guidelines for drinking suggest consumption of no more than one standard drink per day. A standard drink contains about 14 grams of alcohol (0.6 fluid ounces or 1.2 tablespoons), which is equivalent to one 12-ounce bottle of beer or wine cooler; 8 to 9 ounces of malt liquor; one 5-ounce glass of wine; or 1.5 ounces of 80-proof distilled spirits. Keep in mind that the alcohol content of different types of beer, wine and distilled spirits can vary quite substantially.

This is intended to measure the amount consumed on a single day and does not represent an average over several days. In other words, if a woman doesn't drink all week and then has seven drinks on Saturday, it's not the same as having one drink a day.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

The Alcohol-Cigarette Equivalency
The Alcohol-Cigarette Equivalency
In Paul Newman’s booze- and cigarette-laced performance in the 1982 film The Verdict, a man struggles to find a way out of his smoky, alcoholic haze. ...
What should I know about drinking champagne?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
The effects of champagne can sneak up on you. In this video, I will reveal how the bubbles in champa...
What's a healthy alternative to wine?
You get plenty of health benefits from a glass of wine, but not if you pour too much. To learn about...
Kym Whitley Does a Simulated Drunk-Driving Course