What are home remedies for hangovers?

There is no cure for a hangover -- only time. Fortunately, hangover symptoms last only about 24 hours. To ease the symptoms, try these home remedies:
  • Alcohol causes dehydration, so drink plenty of water. Also drink fruit juice and tomato juice.
  • For headache, take acetaminophen unless you have known liver disease or drink heavily and, therefore, may be at risk for liver disease.
  • Because alcohol consumption may have already irritated your stomach lining, avoid aspirin and ibuprofen since they may increase this irritation.
  • Use a cold pack to relieve headache pain.
  • For an upset stomach, take an over-the-counter antacid. Peppermint and chamomile tea may also help.
  • Bouillon soup or sports beverages may help replace depleted salt and potassium.
  • Avoid caffeinated beverages because they can cause further dehydration.
  • Vitamin C may increase the rate of alcohol breakdown in the body.
  • Do not have an alcoholic drink in the morning as a cure for a hangover. Another drink does not help and may only make the hangover worse.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

Excessive Alcohol Use Responsible for 88,000 US Deaths—Here's How to Cut Back
Even people who don't drink daily can get in trouble with alcohol. Overall, about one in six Americans binge drink about four times a month, defined a...
How can I help prevent drunk driving?
Everyone can help prevent drinking and driving by choosing not to drink and drive and help others do...
What should I know about drinking champagne?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
The effects of champagne can sneak up on you. In this video, I will reveal how the bubbles in champa...
How Does Smoking (or Vaporizing) Alcohol Affect the Body?