Is beer a good sports beverage?

No. Alcoholic beverages are not appropriate for sports, before, during, or right after. Alcohol slows motor skills and can cause dehydration, so it is an extremely poor choice of beverage for sport. Due to the marketing campaigns of many alcoholic beverage companies that affiliate their products with an “active lifestyle,” people mistakenly partner the two. Alcohol plus exercise is a recipe for a trip to the hospital, not a trip to the gym.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

Wait, So Now Wine Is Bad for You?
Wait, So Now Wine Is Bad for You?
If you read news online or watch TV—heck, if you have eyes and ears—you’ve likely heard that red wine is good for you. For years, it’s been claimed to...
Should I eat before going out for drinks?
Keri GansKeri Gans
You should eat a meal before you go for drinks. If it is an early night, eat a snack. Without a meal...
How does alcohol consumption affect my risk for breast cancer?
Gaston Vergara, MDGaston Vergara, MD
We know that alcohol in general can increase the risk of most cancers, and alcohol has been associat...
Is Binge Drinking Serious?
Is Binge Drinking Serious?