Should I use "hair of the dog" to treat my hangover?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The "hair of the dog" method is not advised for treating a hangover. Drinking more alcohol in order to relieve hangover symptoms will likely worsen your symptoms and may lead to other problems. Stick to non-alcoholic beverages for hydration and relief of hangover symptoms.

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

Binge Drinking in America Is a Serious Public Health Issue—Here’s Why
Binge drinking is the most expensive, most common and most deadly type of extreme alcohol use in the United States, according to the Centers for Disea...
Alcohol and Cancer: What's the Connection?
Drinking is associated with a laundry list of health risks—more than 200, if you’re keeping track. The more you drink, the greater your risk for one o...
If I drink beer, how much should I drink?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
To get the health benefits of beer without the negative side effects, men should limit their consump...
Are drivers with a DWI conviction likely to drink and drive again?
Drivers with previous driving while impaired (DWI) convictions pose a substantial risk of offending ...