Is alcohol good for me?

Alcohol is a double-edged sword. In its favor, it decreases inflammation, for reasons not fully understood. But too much of it can cause aging of the immune system, perhaps by inactivating the cells that defend you.

Anything more than about two and a half drinks daily for men and one and a half drinks for women is a net increase in risk. Avoid drinking if a family member becomes angry when he or she drinks; that's a genetic danger sign that alcohol could pose a problem for you as well.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Alcohol & Health

What Really Happens to Your Body When You Drink
Whether it’s a pint of beer at the pub or a glass of wine at the end of a long day, we often think of alcohol as a good thing. Drinking relaxes us. It...
If I drink beer, how much should I drink?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
To get the health benefits of beer without the negative side effects, men should limit their consump...
What is the effect of alcohol on men’s health?
Ronald Tamler, MDRonald Tamler, MD
Although a moderate amount of alcohol, such as a glass of red wine a day, may offer health benefits,...
Beware of Drinking and Holiday Heart Syndrome